- Grafton, Wisconsin
- December 6, 2018
GREGORY S. DEUHS
262-853-9669 | Grafton, WI | email@example.com | www.linkedin.com/in/gregorydeuhs
World-class Senior Leader with long career track record as Master Brewer, Plant Director, Supply Chain Operations, Product Champion and Change Agent in global markets. Deep operational skills in multi-plant management, quality assurance, research & product development of craft beers, mainstream beers, spirits and alternative alcoholic beverages, enterprise planning, cost/benefits analysis and organizational streamlining in fast-paced production environments. Widely recognized by executives and thought leaders for comprehensive expertise in new business development, new product introduction, process improvements, workforce allocation, production planning, capital projects and regulatory compliance. Retired Senior US Army Officer.
- Certified Institute of Brewing and Distilling (IBD) Master Brewer and Six Sigma Black Belt with hands-on knowledge of Lean manufacturing methodologies, quality standards, operating regulations and industry requirements.
- Award-winning expertise in new product rollout, flavor analysis, startup operations, market research, customer voice and cost of manufacturing controls; fully accountable for P&L, budgeting, sourcing, pricing and cost reductions.
- Proficient in dealing with top executives, business partners, multiple departments, vendors, consultants, contractors and diverse internal resources in planning and executing complex and technical development initiatives.
- Results-oriented formation and delivery of profit-building programs, market penetration, supply chain, logistics, master plans, executive dashboards, KPIs, community relations and continuous improvements.
- Self-motivated to achieve maximum operational performance, drive “grain to glass” product innovation, facilitate startups and turnarounds, maintain peak quality standards and meet aggressive growth objectives.
Master Brewer ● Strategic Planning ● Profit Building ● New Product Launches ● Cost Controls ● Research and Development ● Vendor Relations ● Product Development Lifecycle ● Site Inspections ● Packaging Strategies ● Product Portfolios ● Operational Streamlining ● Media Relations ● Market Trend Review ● Training & Development ● M&A Support ● Financial Controls ● Contract Negotiations ● Public Relations ● Branding Strategies Budgeting ● P&L Accountability ● OSHA ● Regulatory Compliance ● Safety Regulations ● Talent Development ● Multi-site Operations
Employment & Accomplishments
Pabst Brewing Company, Milwaukee, WI (2012-2018)
Most recently oversaw all production and quality functions with four professionals for all brands across US and international partner breweries, representing 6M barrels annually. Designed and introduced new products, including craft & mainstream beers, flavored malt beverages, seltzers and alcohol-cold-brew coffee drinks. Analyzed and reviewed market trends, customer experience, cost controls and material sourcing opportunities. Collaborated closely with Sales, Marketing, Legal and HR departments. Continually researched and tested new products, while integrating “first taste” sensory panel results.
- Spearheaded development lifecycle of “Ballantine IPA” as new product for IPA space; also led team in winning many industry beer awards at national and international level.
- Key participant in setting up and launching $3.5M Pabst Milwaukee Research Brewery and Taproom in historic downtown building in Milwaukee, WI, returning Pabst to original market roots.
- Instituted PBC’s Light Beer strategy to calibrate and ensure consistency across source breweries.
- Streamlined Flavored Malt Beverage production, resulting in transportation synergies, lower warehousing costs and better product freshness.
- Headed quality review functions to qualify brewing facilities in Europe and Central America; also team-led creation of corporate Quality Protocols and Brewing Standards.
- Specially chosen to serve as Corporate Spokesperson in promoting new products receiving industry awards and acting as Media Contact.
Craft Brew Alliance, Seattle, WA (2008-2012)
Director of Operations / Redhook Master Brewer
In charge of managing 50 direct reports and $30M budget in coordinating all Seattle, WA brewery operations, representing 200K barrels each year. Smoothly transitioned Redhook Ale Brewery through merger with Widmer Brothers Brewing Company. Personally hired, trained and deployed qualified management for brewing, packaging, warehouse and facility operations. Accountably for annual operating budgets and CAPEX projects. Continually enhanced sanitation and infrastructure with 5S programs, best practices, staff training and capital initiatives.
- Researched and established a number of new brand formulations for the Redhook Limited Release series, as well as various seasonal programs.
- Introduced best processing methods and heightened employee awareness at Seattle plant, reducing beer loss from over 20% to less than 8% during tenure.
- Decreased spare parts inventory by $500K after establishing complete Maintenance Management System, while shifting from “breakdown” to “preventive” maintenance approach.
- Tasked with addressing and resolving catastrophic production failure at closed Portsmouth, NH within one month; also eliminated huge shrinkage issue, cleaned up key financial issue and instituted processes to recruit new leadership.
- Selected to act as Corporate Spokesperson for new product launches, media relations and industry awards.
Utica Energy (bio-fuel alcohol distillation), Oshkosh, WI (2007-2008)
Directed 35 staff in all aspects of ethanol production, including off-site spent grain-handling operation, at this $164M facility. Established and maintained first-ever safety standards and programs. Onb0arded new production manager and grain dryer manager.
- Increased ethanol production by 1% with proper yeast management and new processes, equating to 10% higher product throughput.
- Decreased production costs by $500K+ yearly after eliminating purchase of liquid yeast and converting to comparable process of conditioning dry yeast vacuum packs.
- Reduced lost-time accidents to zero with greater safety awareness training and program buy-in from employees.
SAB-Miller Brewing Company, Milwaukee, WI (2001-2007)
Brewing Process Leader
Responsible for leading 24 hourly workers in coordinating daily Cold side operations and assist in producing 8M barrels each year. Tracked and monitored material usage through effective inventory controls and employee engagement.
- Instrumental in piloting many quality and cost-saving initiatives that helped this brewery maintain its competitive advantage nationwide.
Froedert Malting Company, Milwaukee, WI (2000-2001)
Maltster / Plant Superintendent
Brought on to supervise 40 union employees in all malting operations at the Milwaukee-West plant, representing 275M lbs. annually. Quickly developed and implemented numerous operational improvements and production processes.
- Achieved #1 ranking in Malt Supplier Quality for three of four quarters by a major brewing customer.
- Drastically enhanced sanitation levels to pass customer inspections; also eliminated daily overtime with rotating shifts.
- Closely collaborated with union leaders to reduce safety accident rate by 50% through more education, employee buy-in and process improvements.
- Held management and senior professional positions in brewing and project management with world-class entities: Pepsi Bottling Group, Stroh Brewery and James Page Brewing.
- Eliminated over $100K in waste annually at Pepsi with innovative can line improvements; also optimized an existing three can line palletizers as part of $550K project.
- Team-led new product team at Stroh’s that conceived four new beers for Red River Brewing Company, including three formulations and two later adopted for production.
- Formulated and brewed four new specialty beers for the craft beer market, increasing beer sales by 20% over three-year period at James Page Brewing.
MBA – Operations – Academic Distinction
BS – Management
Cardinal Stritch University, Milwaukee, WI
- Graduate, US Army ROTC Program through University of Minnesota.
- College Prep Graduate, Cretin High School in St. Paul, MN.
Professional Training & Activities
- Certified Master Brewer through Institute of Brewing and Distilling, London.
- Certified Six Sigma Black Belt through Villanova University.
- Proficient in MS Office Suite, MS Dynamics 365, Brewer’s Toolbox, D/3 Process Control and Sieman’s Braumat Brewing Process Control System.
- Courses in Master Brewing, Yeast & Finished Beer, Pepsi Can Line University and related topics.
- Member, Institute of Brewing and Distilling and Master Brewer’s Association of the Americas since 1993.
- Member, Humane Society of Ozaukee County; Amateur Radio Extra Class License (FCC) and Volunteer in regional emergency communications assistance.
US Army, Fort McCoy, WI
Held progressively higher roles with commands ranging from platoon to battalion level. Specialized as Signal Officer and Communications Expert. Utilized expertise in unit training, staff supervision, program implementation, troop orientation, executive reporting and preparation of accurate documentation.
- Returned to Active Duty between 2003-2005 and supported Global War on Terror; selected as Mobilization Support Battalion Commander at Fort McCoy, WI.
- Smoothly prepared and transitioned over 1,500 reserve component soldiers for active duty to combat environments and overseas deployment.
- Completed prestigious Command and General Staff Officer program at Ft. Leavenworth, KS.
- Honorably Retired after 26 years of service.