- Manhattan Beach, California
- January 14, 2020
Senior executive specializing in the lifestyle and wellness beverages. My primary role is to strategize marketing functions, direct department goals, objectives and operating procedures. Has built and developed teams to meet growth needs domestically and internationally. Has excelled with entrepreneurial beverage brands reporting to the CEO/Founder, highlights include Rockstar Energy Drink, Health-Ade Kombucha and Ole Smoky Moonshine.
- Growth planning, commercialization and trade marketing across all primary retail sales channels including Natural, Specialty, MULO, Mass, Drug, Club, Food Service and Convenience.
- First-hand knowledge of how to scale a marketing department consumer marketing platforms, programs, processes and budgets.
- Expert at instituting organizational standards and processes.
- Drive brand awareness through digital advertising, PR, social amplification, brand partnerships, licensing and traditional media execution
- Create 360-degree programs with brand partnerships to drive awareness, trial, social media, influencer activation, data collection, marketing campaigns, retail opportunities and distinction from competition.
- Creative direction and compliance with new packaging, labels and product development.
- Data – identify correct inputs to analyze and drive marketing decisions, segment and engage4 the core consumer then find adjacent segments.
- Agency management – advertising, public relations, storytelling, creative, influencer, content, email, lead generation, audience segmentation and analytics.
- Budgeting – strategic resource allocation, forecasting. crafting a meaningful COA, institute process to stay within budget.
- Creative & innovative – challenge the status quo, big bold concepts.
- Communication – clear, candid, honest, collaborative and engaging.
• Perennial is a plant-based, ready to drink, functional nutrition solution.
• Lead digital strategy, e-commerce excellence, field marketing and tactical execution
• Use data and consumer driven key learnings to inform product innovation.
• Identify and contract key vendors to bring the brand vision to life.
• Implement advertising, email marketing, influencer marketing, advertising and brand partnerships.
Health-Ade is the world’s third-largest kombucha brand and is the fastest-growing brand in the category
• Delivered velocity increases resulting in a 400% increase in topline revenue in 2017 and 2018.
• Restructured department and budget in the first 90 days, reallocated resources from field marketing to increase brand awareness through influencer marketing, PR and digital advertising
• Led trade marketing, created retail support programs with News America, Catalina, and Ibotta bringing in 73k first-time punchers from the competition.
• Launched omnichannel and pioneered new platforms such as Instacart, Amazon Grocery, and Shipt integration
• Relaunched the worst-performing SKU through licensing and a brand partnership with Tone It Up! that SKU grew to a top 5 performer in under six months.
• Drive awareness, trial, and retail promotion through brand partnership programs with Tone It Up!, Well & Good, Feed Feed, Feast! Portland and Create & Cultivate
• Served as the lead for cross-department collaboration with sales, production, and finance to meet company goals.
• Executed an in-depth research project using machine learning, then applied key learnings to brand strategy and tactical decisions that led to 95% topline growth in 2018.
Ole Smoky is the world’s second largest moonshine Distillery, moving over 200,000 cases annually in 18 countries.
Ole Smoky was acquired by Centerview Capital as result of new sales and marketing results.
• Functional Leadership & Development – recruited, hired, trained and developed a high-performing team of young marketing talent.
• Created 360-degree experiential marketing platforms to include NASCAR (Bristol, Daytona and Talladega Speedways), Lucas Oil, Live Nation Venues, Harley Davidson, Sturgis Bike Rally, Galveston Biker Rally and Daytona Bike Week
• Brand Partnerships/Licensing - created new top selling SKU through Harley Davidson License & marketing partnership
• Executed celebrity endorsement with Dierks Bentley, Country Music superstar. Image and likeness drove the summer display program and came to life with consumer promotions and tour support.
• Expanded to 8 countries in one year, revamping the intellectual property structure to support international growth
• Drove qualitative and quantitative research efforts to fully understand target customer and benchmark key metrics.
• New Product Development/Innovation - Expanded the product line from 6 to 18 flavors, managed TTB approval process.
Rockstar grew from $20M to $850M in sales during tenure. Rockstar is ranked in the top three energy drink brands globally and had an aggressive growth trajectory that delivered increased market share.
Vice President, Marketing 2008 – 2013
• Reported to CEO and EVP Marketing
• Managed a team of 32 to create a lifestyle brand that evolved into an international success story in less than 5 years
• Scaled small initiatives into international 360-degree marketing platforms and programs.
• Reached the consumer through an extensive array of retail promotions and contests at the point of purchase and supported digitally through micro-site, social media and custom applications. Resulting in 495 million in-store impressions an incremental 60 days of in-store featured product promotion across 50+ retailers
• Created consumer engagement through on pack promotions with Ford, Makita and EA Sports
• Established premium consumer perception with industry leaders with a fraction of their budgets.
• Managed annual consumer marketing budget of $25m
• Accountable for all sponsored program execution and the day-to-day management marketing department.
• Led international expansion on the marketing side to 36 countries.
Sponsorship Director 2005 – 2008
• Mange brand perception by implanting and managing an internal creative department, executing packaging, promotional collateral, premiums, clothing, content, social media, content and point of sale materials
• Generate awareness and emotional connection through licensing program. Grew from 2 initial licensing deals to 19 brands, garnering over 100M impressions annually and put a beverage brand into over 5,500 clothing stores.
• ACTION SPORTS – The strategy to garner adoption from the action sports industry through athlete endorsement, support and amplification paved the way for rapid scale. The action sports program covered a wide cross section including BMX, Skateboarding, Snowboarding, Skiing, Surfing, Wakeboarding, FMX, Mountain biking and more.
o 250 professional athlete representatives annual highlights included 20+ magazine overs, 150 featured articles, 300 pages of advertisement, 1,500 hours of unique 3d party content and 300M brand impressions.
o Rockstar Pro Wakeboarding Tour
o Rockstar Supra Boat Partnership
o Rockstar US Open of Supercross
o Presenting rights on Lucas Oil Motocross season
o ESPN X Games sponsorship and activation
• VANS –
o Vans Downtown Showdown, Protec Pool Party, Vans Cup Tahoe
o Rockstar Energy & Vans Triple Crown of Surfing
• MMA – Objectives included awareness, trial and adoption by core consumer by being the first to embrace a controversial sport.
o 2006 – 2011
o 2006: King of the Cage
o 2007: King of the Cage. Elite XC, Pride
o 2008: King of the Cage. Elite XC, Pride
o 2009, 2010: Strikeforce
• GOLDEN BOY – BOXING – global exposure, think outside of the box to breakthrough.
o 2007: Barrera vs Juarez Pay-Per-View, Vargas vs Mosley
o 2008: De La Hoya vs Mayweather, Hopkins vs Wright, Mosely vs Collazo, Barrera vs Marquez
o 2009: Hatton vs Pacquaio
• MOTORSPORTS – global exposure and awareness by activating multiple segments overtime, adoption through tapping into the passions of the core consumer.
o Supercross & Outdoor Motocross
o Ford Racing & Tanner Foust – Global Rally Cross, Drift Racing, Pike’s Peak
o AMA Superbike – Suzuki Racing
o Rockstar Suzuki Racing – Supercross & Motocross from 2006 to 2013, Canadian Motocross, Suzuki World Racing – MX1 & MX2
o MotoGP – Jorge Lorenzo
o Lucas Oil – Off Road Racing Series, Sprint Car, Dirt Track Racing, Pro Pulling, Drag Boat Racing
o Snowcross Racing
o NHRA - Top Fuel with Tony Schumacher and Cory McClenthan
o NHRA - Funny Car with Ron Capps, Jack Beckman, Gary Solezi and Jerry Tolliver
o Harley Davidson partnership & licensing
o Sturgis & every major motorcycle rally in the country
• MUSIC - finding adjacent segments to the core customer, be the first energy drink involved when possible.
o 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 Rockstar Mayhem Festival
o 2006, 2007, 2008 Rockstar Taste of Chaos
o Rockstar ID DJ Tour
o Rockstar Country Throwdown
o Live Nation Venue partnerships
o Artist endorsements with Kaskade, content with Slipknot and dozens of others