- Wake Forest, NC
- November 22, 2019
Career science professional with 24 years of progressively more responsible roles in people management, mentoring, leadership, analytical laboratory management, budgeting, product development, process development, food safety, food legislation, analytical chemistry, organic chemistry, brewing science and enzymology. Four years international work experience. Author, inventor and presenter of multiple scientific papers, patents and publications. Known for driving performance, team building, leadership, networking, decisiveness, innovation, renovation, customer service, and value engineering.
Managed technical aspects of industrial enzyme implementation and troubleshooting within the global brewing industry. Provided technical service to brewing companies utilizing our enzyme technology s in terms of planning and performing laboratory trials, analytical determinations and providing consulting on our products and applications. Developed new products, supported new product launches and provided leadership to joint innovation projects.
• Technical lead on global account teams, working with major brewing companies to innovate new products,
realize marketing claims, improve brewing processes and increase utilization of raw materials.
• Managed the activities of the Novozymes North America Inc. Brewing Laboratory, including development of trial protocols, prioritization of activities, and supervision of staff.
• Planned, supervised and participated in industrial trials of Novozymes brewing enzymes at multiple customer sites globally.
• Experienced in working and coordinating activities with commercial and production sides of the business to further business objectives and develop new products for our customers.
Leader of Americas Brewing Technical Service team supporting enzyme applications with our major customers, and acted as Industry Technology Specialist for industrial enzyme implementation and troubleshooting within the brewing industry in North America. Managed the brewing laboratory to support customers in North and South America, while ensuring that it operated under the mandate of continuous improvement with the most update methods and instruments. Participated as a member of the Brewing Americas Industry Management team and as a member of the Global Brewing Axis team to plan and coordinate our activities on regional and global basis to best serve our customers and ensure profitability of our industry.
• Developed, managed and nurtured relationships with our key brewing customers in the Americas and with academia
• Guided the development of team members to grow from both a technical and personal perspective
• Ensured direct reports had ambitious business targets which were aligned with business objectives to drive industry growth
• Managed resource allocation to regional projects and initiatives
• Participated as a member of a global account team, supporting one of our largest customers in the brewing industry on a global basis by coordination and provision of technical service
• Delivered technical seminars at customer and industry sites, educating participants on the use of enzyme technology in the industry
• Set and guided the regional direction and development of the brewing technical service function in the Americas
Managed technical aspects of industrial enzyme implementation and troubleshooting within the brewing industry in North America. Provided technical service to brewing companies utilizing our enzymes in terms of planning and performing laboratory trials, analytical determinations and providing consulting on our products and applications. Supported new product launches and provided leadership to projects aimed at development of new enzymatic solutions to the industry.
• Planned, executed and delivered results to major North American brewing customers, facilitating implementation of our products in their breweries
• Presented technical seminars at industry meetings and at customer sites in support of new global product roll-out, expected to generate 5 million DKK in revenue
• Led global research and development project, with the goal of launching a new generation of enzymes for light-beer production
• Managed the activities of the Novozymes North America Inc. Brewing Laboratory, including supervision of staff, development of new analytical methodologies, and investigation of new analytical instrumentation.
• Planned, supervised and participated in industrial trials of Novozymes brewing enzymes at multiple customer sites in North America.
• Experienced in working, and coordinating activities with commercial side of the business (Sales and Marketing) to further business objectives with customers.
Managed a staff of scientists, technicians and laboratory personnel to support the Innovation and Development community, Technical Operations, Procurement and breweries worldwide with advanced chemical analyses, brewing science and chemistry consultation, non-routine quality assurance and control issues, food safety and beverage legislation. Responsible for operational and capital budgets, staff performance evaluation/monitoring/development, mentoring, target setting, and interfacing with customers. Annual budget 3M euro; staff of 7.
• Directed the Global Food Safety Analytical Program, ensuring that we were providing our consumers with the highest quality beverages possible
• Researched, prepared and provided timely food legislation information for 27 countries to a Process Development project team, resulting in the implementation of technology saving 50 M euro in 2008
• Delivered advanced chemical analyses results to our customers with a 100% rating in 2007 and 2008; within agreed timelines and to agreed quality for all 120 requests
• Investigated and solved a potential food safety issue with one of our products in Europe, avoiding a multi-million euro product recall
• Provided chemistry consultation and advanced chemical analyses during a 12 month period in support of a Global Procurement initiative, resulting in savings of 35 M euro per year to the company
• Developed new and innovative analytical methods to assess flavor, quality and food safety parameters of our products in support of the global business
• Headed initiatives to allow for the use of a novel brewing process aid to be accepted for use in Canada and Croatia, allowing for implementation of technology reducing hop usage at a substantial cost saving for the company
Project team leader and member for multiple brewing science, product development, and process development projects in the Global Innovation and Technology Development department. Developed advanced chemical analyses methods and provided chemistry and brewing science consultation to the global business to maintain/improve product quality, launch new beverages and improve the efficiency of the brewing process.
• Evaluated new enzyme technology envisioned to reduce energy consumption in the brewing process by 35%
• Invented, produced and evaluated prototypes of novel beverages never before available to the consumer
• Implemented an instrumental platform for the company to evaluate and understand flavors of alcoholic beverages, which enabled faster development of new products and aided troubleshooting of product quality issues
• Developed and nurtured a substantial network of industry suppliers, Universities, research institutes and contract laboratories in North America and Europe for the company to utilize for faster product development, conducting novel applied research or assisting in resolving product quality issues
Team member on multiple projects involving applied brewing science, product development, and process development initiatives in the Science & Technology Development department. Assisted in the development and introduction of new analytical chemistry methods and techniques, provided consultation to the North American business to maintain/improve product quality, launch new beverages and improve the efficiency of the brewing process.
• Investigated and installed new analytical instrumentation and methodology in the laboratory to gain a better understanding of the colloidal stability of beer, with the goal of eliminating the aging process and reducing the cost per hectoliter of brewing beer
• Supported the development and multi-country plant trials for a new beer to be produced in Canada, Europe and Asia for the global market
• Developed competencies in corrosion chemistry and cleaning chemicals to provide the North American plants with in-house expertise in these areas, resulting in faster resolution of corrosion issues encountered at a lower cost
• Presented research findings and results at national and international scientific conferences, thereby increasing the perception of technical excellence at our company
• Co-invented, researched and published industrial methodologies to enhance the light stability of beer, resulting in the granting of a US patent in this area