The Vice President, Wine & Spirits Innovation will be responsible for developing Constellation Brands' Wine & Spirits innovation agenda and pipeline. This role is responsible for building and refining consumer insight- and trend driven portfolio innovation strategy, developing short-, medium- and long-term product pipeline initiatives, and driving execution of new products through launch in close collaboration with cross-functional teams. The successful VP Wine & Spirits Innovation candidate will have strong consumer brand building experience, demonstrated creative and disruptive growth mindset, agile decision-making abilities, strong influence and cross functional team leadership skills, and effective stakeholder management abilities.
This role reports directly to the Chief Growth Officer with a strong dotted line to the Chief Marketing Officer.
Innovation Strategy and Pipeline Development (50% time allocation)
* Lead development and refinement of consumer-driven Wine & Spirits portfolio innovation strategy and pipeline initiatives
* Develop and use ongoing analysis of category, competitive, and consumer trends to uncover areas of opportunity and unmet consumer needs to fuel innovative ideas across consumers, channels and markets
* Create multi-year pipeline that meets business and consumer needs (short/long term) across the spectrum of innovation (including new products, brand extensions, renovation, and new packaging)
* In partnership with brand marketing leadership, develop brand innovation strategies and priorities to support brand growth plans
* Work closely with CMO and brand marketing leadership to prioritize innovation initiatives and go-to-market strategies
* Develop and institute "best in class" consumer driven, innovative and agile processes and ways of working to develop new products and ideas
Product Development, Commercial Strategy and Execution: (25% time allocation)
* Lead Innovation team collaboration with operations and R&D through end-to-end product development
* Supervise agency partners through idea and concept development, through testing and optimization, and final launch execution
* Partner closely with brand marketing, sales, key retailers and wholesalers to champion innovation initiatives, get early feedback and input, and develop effective consumer- and customer-insight-driven selling propositions to enable successful sales/marketing execution
* Participate in market visits and business unit planning meetings for strong commercial, customer, and market understanding
* Refine and execute innovation business model to support successful innovation launches and go-to-market strategies
People Management and Leadership: (25% time allocation)
* Foster a culture of curiosity and exploration across the innovation team and cross functional partners
* Proven experience managing, coaching, and developing a team, including employees in multiple locations
* Cross-functional team management with key internal groups including Brand Marketing, Consumer Insights, Agency partners, Legal, Finance, R&D, Operations, Supply Chain, and Project Management, among others
* MBA preferred but not required. Bachelors degree required.
* 15+ years professional experience demonstrating a consistent trajectory of role expansion and increasing levels of organizational impact; budgetary and P&L management experience a must (either sales or brand management).
* Proven desire and ability to think creatively, coupled with strong analytical and problem solving skills.
* Decisive and creative problem solver, with bias for action.
* Excellent communication skills; very articulate, strong public speaking and writing skills, strong interpersonal skills, strong cross functional skills.
* Strong team player and proven ability to work and lead with others (internally and externally).
* Proven experience managing, coaching, and developing a team.
* Excellent organizational, ability to prioritize, excellent project management skills, and solid financial acumen.
* Strong PC skills (Windows, Word, Excel, PowerPoint), syndicated database experience (IRI or Nielsen), custom database experience (use of our custom Epiphany database program).
* Successful candidate will be a very motivated self-starter and be able to set a broad based team agenda with little guidance.
* Proven experience in consumer research and analytics as it applies to marketing communication development.
* MBA preferred (ideally from a top 20 program).
* Prefer five years of beverage alcohol experience in a marketing role; solid understanding of the three-tier distribution system.
ADA Physical/Mental/Workplace Requirements:
* Physical Requirements: Requires the ability to stand, walk, climb stairs and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. It also requires sitting, operating a computer keyboard, telephone and other equipment, reading, talking and hearing for extended periods of time.
* Travel Required: Must be flexible in work style and schedule: travel up to 20-30%.
The purpose of this description is to describe the essential job functions and the level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position. This description is not an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by this position. Management reserves the right to modify, add or remove duties from particular jobs and assign other duties as necessary.
San Francisco, California
Constellation Brands is committed to a continuing program of equal employment opportunity. All persons have equal employment opportunities with Constellation Brands, regardless of their sex, race, color, age, religion, creed, sexual orientation, national origin or citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition (cancer or genetic characteristics), marital status, gender (including gender)