Distiller Job Description
Searching for a highly organized and detail-oriented Distiller with a great attitude, takes pride in making quality products, and a strong work ethic. Responsibilities include all aspects of production including: fermentation, distillation, as well as some lab analysis. This position will be full time on a 4x10 schedule and will require some evening, night, and weekend shifts once training is complete. We are very fast-growing company with current expansion plans in progress. Reports directly to the Production/Plant Manager.
Complete any and all tasks assigned by the Production Manager/Plant Manager
• Knowledge across all facets of the ethanol process
o Fermentation, distillation, dryers, centrifuges, boiler, and water treatment, or part of is preferred.
o Tracking all raw material components throughout the production and warehouse facilities
o Operation of wet conveyance systems, hammer and cage mills with pneumatic conveyance
o Operation of pumps, motors, agitators & valves to execute daily mashing operations and tank transfers, all controlled via a central PLC
o Communicate current batch progress levels and direct operators during a shift change.
• Fermentation Management & Lab Analysis
o Stay within operating parameters set by Plant/Production Manager and notify management of any production problems.
o Track data for multiple in-process fermentations throughout the shift, keep accurate and timely logs
o Understand and use aseptic techniques for yeast propagation and rehydration
o Run laboratory procedures on daily batches. Collect samples and do the necessary tests to ensure consistent and quality product and record results.
o Monitor and make adjustments on the (DCS) computer according to the results of the samples to keep within quality parameters.
o Communicate with the Laboratory employees to ensure quality, and learn in-house testing procedures (yeast counts, Near Spectrometer and the GC).
• Distillation and New Make Spirit Analysis
o Operate still
o Trouble shoot issues in process & equipment
o Sensory evaluation
o Very detailed data and yield tracking throughout the entire process
o Ability to perform process equipment maintenance (change pump gaskets, seals, replace valve, etc.).
• Cleaning & Sanitation
o Follow Standard Operating Procedures for plant start-up, shut down, cleaning and batching. Run CIP (clean in place) procedures with both strong acid and strong base chemicals, utilizing various types of 3-phase motor driven pumps
o Understand and use best practice aseptic techniques for cleaning and sanitizing large tanks and vessels, hoses, pipework, etc.
o Utilizing a detailed approach to uphold the highest standards of cleanliness for all customer facing spaces within the process plant.
o Work closely with the maintenance personnel, assist with schedules and mechanical updates or problems.
o Required to follow all safety procedures, safety programs, and training sessions.
• Ability to work 12-hour shifts, including some night and weekend shifts
• Must be highly organized with ability to multitask while maintaining attention to detail.
• Ability to work independently, meet deadlines, and especially, be a team player
• Ability to safely lift 55 lbs.
• Must have reliable transportation
• Self-starter with strong problem-solving skills
• Strong work ethic, positive attitude
• Excellent written and verbal communication skill
• Bachelor’s degree in a relevant science (Engineering, Biology, Chemistry, etc.)
• 3+ years of production experience fermentation and distilling either brewing or distilling
• Experience interacting with automated control processes, operate DCS (computer control system) for the plant
• Home brewing experience a plus
Physical Requirements/Work Environment
• Works outdoors/indoors
• Works in warm/cold climates
• Works in high places
• Works on wet surfaces
• Ability to climb multiple platforms
• Lift 50-60 lbs.
• Is exposed to loud noise, fumes and/or toxic chemicals
• Works near moving, mechanical parts and lift truck traffic
• Must be at least 21 years of age. Must be able to sit and/or stand for long periods of time and work on a computer for extended periods. Lifting may be required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Location Western New York
Job Type Full time
Job Area Operations and Production