The Wine Group is one of the top leaders in the wine industry. As a privately held management-owned company with 12 wineries in California, New York, and Australia, we strive to win with exceptional people who share our values. We produce many well-known brands including Franzia, Cupcake, Chloe, Flip Flop, Save Me San Francisco, Insurrection, Concannon, Benziger and Imagery. We are a successful company looking to employ talented individuals on our team who are self-motivated, positive and energetic. If this sounds like you, we encourage you to apply!
As a member of The Wine Group's Human Resources Leadership Team, the Director of Human Resources Operations will play an integral role in the development and execution of the Human Resources strategy in support of TWG's continued growth and evolution.
We are seeking a hands-on HR leader who will serve as a strategic partner to the business, execute activities as an HR operational manager, and provide solid consultation to employees and managers. This individual will lead the Operations human resources activities across employee relations, talent management, workforce planning, employee development, negotiations and coordination of multiple labor unions, and collaboration with the Operations business unit. This person must be a trusted advisor and confidant to business leaders on all business needs and related talent issues. The right candidate will also manage a small group of HR professionals across different locations and will work with other HR leaders in Talent Acquisition, Talent Management & Development and Total Rewards across the organization in the implementation, roll-out and management of programs to support and enhance the business.
The company has a strong commitment to building its HR capabilities and impact. In support of executing on this commitment, there will be an opportunity to build and redesign policies, processes and tools. This requires fresh leadership thinking, behavior, and processes. The Human Resources Director, Operations will be a critical advisor, contributor, and driver in TWG's efforts to enhance and continuously improve business and HR processes, tools and results to successfully navigate the changing industry and help ensure TWG's leadership position and success within the industry.
* Lead Human Resources for employees and managers within the Operations organization for any human resources related issues and activities. Build a strong business relationship with the Operations leadership team;
* Provide coaching and advice to leaders on employee issues; work with TWG's Legal Department to develop action plans in conjunction with business leaders;
* Lead negotiations with the five different unions representing portions of the company's workforce, including preparing for and negotiating collective bargaining agreements, helping the business manage compliance with those collective bargaining agreements and resolving disputes related to and arising out of those collective bargaining agreements for The Wine Group's union facilities;
* Work closely with operations leadership to reinforce an accountable, performance driven culture and team committed to consistently meeting or exceeding goals, utilizing approaches consistent with the company's mission, vision and cultural values;
* Conduct regular workforce and business reviews with business leaders to manage employee engagement/turnover and attrition risks, retention, staffing metrics, employee productivity and performance, and diversity efforts;
* Collaborate with the Talent Management and Development team to meet all organizational design needs within operations;
* Assess and build talent and candidate pipelines and workforce plans; ensuring viable and timely succession and development plans are in place;
* Work with Operations leadership and Talent Acquisition team to accelerate TWG's ability to hire talent necessary to support growth and business evolution;
* Consult and guide managers on proper use of progressive discipline and termination procedures to minimize legal risk to company;
* Ensure consistent application of employee policies and practices and oversee and own employment law compliance for operations; and
* Manage and lead a small group of HR professionals including hiring, performance management and development of team to meet the company's needs and help the HR team and the company meet, or preferably exceed, their goals.
* Work with other departments such as Payroll, Finance, Legal, IT, etc. across the company to facilitate resolution of employee related issues;
* Travel will include two to three days a week to other TWG locations (wineries, vineyards, offices, etc.);
* This job description reflects management's assignment of general functions; it does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
* 10+ years of relevant Human Resource experience, preferably experience supporting Operations. Firm grasp of all fundamentals of Human Resources management;
* Bachelor's degree in Human Resources, Business Management or related field required;
* Demonstrated successful employee and labor relations experience, including union contract administration and collective bargaining experience, as well as demonstrated success in a non-union environment;
* Strong analytical and math skills required to assess labor costs, overtime rates, line efficiencies and other operational metrics;
* Proven experience using HR related data to communicate and drive business decisions;
* Be a service-oriented professional who is highly responsive and empathetic and garners respect of employees and business leaders;
* Human Resources Certification preferred - PHR/SPHR;
* Knowledge of HR practices including organizational development, talent management, compensation, performance management, coaching, employee relations and change management;
* Demonstrated skills and ability