Holman Ranch, a privately owned historic property in Carmel Valley, California, sits approximately 12 miles inland from the Pacific Coast and is one of the only 100% Estate Vineyard + Wineries in the Carmel Valley Appellation (AVA). The estate wines of Holman Ranch include Pinot Noir, Pinot Gris, Chardonnay, Rose of Pinot Noir, Syrah and Sparkling (or Brut) Rose, all of which are sustainably grown, hand harvested, and hand sorted. Holman Ranch also produces a 100% Estate Grown, Tuscan-style extra virgin olive oil.
The Director of Sales (the “Position”) is the key leadership position within the Holman Ranch Estate Winery and Vineyard responsible for sales activities for our wine and olive oil businesses, including Direct to Consumer, California Wholesale, and In-State Distributor Sales. The Position will receive a competitive salary, commission plan, bonus plan, and benefits package. This Position reports to the Owners to promote the brand.
To perform the Position job successfully, an individual must be at least 21 years of age and able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
A. Critical knowledge, skills, and abilities:
1. Enjoys meeting and managing people.
2. Enjoys selling and has successful sales experience.
3. Enjoys being measured and rewarded for sales production.
4. Has personal skills in maintaining, training and inspiring staff in sales and service.
5. Outgoing, magnetic, and approachable with a positive attitude and a passion for sales, wine, and customer service.
6. Excellent verbal communication and presentation skills.
7. Strong work ethic and team player.
B. Preferred Requirements
1. Working knowledge of and appreciation for fine wine, especially Holman Ranch wines.
2. Knowledge of sales training tools and techniques conducive to wine sales
3. Knowledge of current wine industry trends.
4. Knowledge of sales process, channels, and clubs to promote sales.
5. Tasting Room or similar hospitality experience.
6. Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, Wine Direct (Formerly VIN65) and Shipcompliant.
7. Experience controlling costs and managing budgets.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
A. DIRECT TO CONSUMER (“DTC”) SALES
1. TASTING ROOM
i. Drive sales, volumes, and margins for Holman Ranch. Responsible for creating, promoting, and/or selling consumer-direct programs, special events, off-site events, wine club education programs, vineyard & winery tours, and other opportunities available to promote wine and olive oil sales, volumes, and margins.
ii. Measure and control variable expenses.
iii. Continually develop and review Key Performance Indicators (“KPIs”) for sales using daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual benchmarks.
iv. Manage and direct tasting room operations and staff, including hiring, training, scheduling, supervising, and evaluating.
v. Set high standards and hold staff accountable to those standards.
vi. Execute best-in-class wine club, tour and tasting experiences, and tasting room events.
vii. Work with Owners and Marketing on efforts to increase exposure, sales, margins, and profitability.
viii. Assist in preparation of annual budget, scheduling expenditures, analyzing variances, and initiating corrective actions.
ix. Responsible for tasting room inventory of wine and non-wine items.
2. WINE CLUB
i. Manage, measure, and grow Wine Club sales, margins, and profitability.
ii. Manage, measure, grow, and retain Wine Club memberships
iii. Manage member services and communications with release notifications, member services, welcome or thank you letters and phone calls, member appreciation, and related support activities.
iv. Manage shipment schedules, club selections (with assistance of Owners), shipments, club promotions, and member events.
i. Manage, measure, and grow Event wine & olive oil sales and margin.
ii. Develop and build relationships within the company to promote future and additional wine sales for contracted ranch and tasting room events.
B. LOCAL WHOLESALE & IN-STATE DISTRIBUTOR SALES
1. Sell wine and olive oil to local Wholesalers (wine shops, restaurants, etc.) and In-State Distributors
2. Foster and grow Local Wholesale network/relationships to increase sales and margins.
C. OUT-OF-STATE DISTRIBUTOR LIAISON
1. Assist Owners with existing Out-of-State Distributor communications and wine orders.
2. This Position currently is not responsible for Sales to Out-of-State Distributors.
This job description reflects the Owner’s assignment of general functions; it does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
The Position generally initiates his or her own work, but work also will be initiated by the Owners. The Position is the primary contact for Wine Club members, tasting room employees, local wholesalers, distributors, and tasting room vendors. The Director of Sales can impact the financial condition of the organization through his/her ability to increase sales and margins and control variable costs.
The Director of Sales is directly responsible for sales and the hiring, training, and guidance of tasting room employees. The Position works with the Owners and CFO to price products profitably and competitively. The Position also works with the Owners, Winemakers, Vineyard Manager, CFO and Marketing to build the Holman Ranch brand and maintain the Holman Ranch Estate Winery & Vineyard’s quality and reputation.
There are physical demands that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The Position must be willing to work weekends and holidays.