Expanding company! The Brewer/Cellar Operator is responsible for cleaning tanks, transferring beer, quality management, yeast management, and equipment maintenance. The cellar operator is also required to maintain a neat, clean, and sanitary environment throughout the brewery.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work-with and assist Master Brewer.
- Responsible for the overall production of independent craft beer.
- Operate automated Brewhouse from grain handling to wort cooling.
- Set up, maintain and operate centrifugation equipment
- Monitor fermentations-check gravities, identify irregularities, record data, dry hopping, cap and chill tanks
- Manage yeast through yeast harvesting, checking viability, yeast dumps and burps.
- Complete beer transfers: check product for readiness, set up, transfer and cleanup according to SOP. Ensure clean transfers at low D.O. levels in a timely manner.
- Run Filtration: Setup and pre-coat, follow SOP to meet quality specifications; ensure proper operation, CIP and sanitization.
- Complete all necessary paperwork accurately and on time.
- Complete tank cleaning and tank sanitization.
- Use proper safety equipment and personal protection equipment.
- Uphold the quality standards of Firestone Walker inside and outside the Brewery.
- Communicate low level inventory of all items used.
- Ensure that safety procedures are adhered to throughout the building.
- Communicate regularly and efficiently with Cellar Master, Head Brewer, Production Manager, and Packaging Manager.
- Ensure you are punctual, regular in attendance, have a positive attitude and good hygiene and act as a good example for the rest of the staff in these areas.
Minimum Work Experience:
- 1-2 years production brewing, 35-barrel brew house preferred, minimum of 7-barrel brew house experience required
- 1-2 years of experience in cellar tasks required
- Packaging experience preferred
Skills & Capabilities:
- Strong mechanical and math problem-solving aptitude required
- Brewery operations and knowledge of specific beer process terminologies required
- A background in recipe development and quality control procedures – creating new recipes for the TAP room.
- Proficiency with MS Office (Excel and Word)
- Comfortable working with chemicals and maintaining adherence to safety standards
- Ability to work a variable shift schedule as needed, which may require 12-hour days, weekends, and holidays as required.
- Overtime must be approved
- Ability to frequently reach, twist, stoop, crouch, stand and walk during shifts
- Must be able to lift-up to 75lbs.
- Ability to effectively manage time and demonstrate a strong work ethic
- Ability to multi-task while being detail and quality focused
- Ability to work both independently and in small work teams
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret technical journals pertaining to brewing and quality control as well as read and understand a variety of scientific instruments
- Ability to analyze and solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. The employee must be able to work on their feet for 8 hours per day. The employee is regularly required to lift 55lb grain bags / 44lb Hop boxes, climb stairs, work in close quarters, grip & manipulate Tri-clamps and drag hoses, several times a day. Employee is occasionally required lift and maneuver a keg (165lbs).
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.