Job Description Summary:
The Area Manager will plan, direct, initiate and oversee all aspects of chain sales professionals and field execution through chain sales/merchandising and management staff to achieve company and supplier objectives. This Area Manger role will also work in-depth with our supplier partners to help achieve our collective chain merchandising goals.
- Leading a team of sales professionals including Field Managers and the subsequent members of the sales management.
- Conducting meetings to effectively communicate objectives, programs, strategies, policies and procedures to assigned management team.
- Working with admin analyst to assist in planning, setting up, and organizing all aspects of monthly General Sales Meetings, including day of supplier management to ensure meeting timelines are met.
- Delivering comprehensive Business Reviews at General Sales Meetings to ensure that all members of the team are aligned in past, present and future planner and programs
- Following and demanding that assigned managers adhere to the federal, state and local laws and regulations governing the sale of alcohol beverage products.
- Training personnel in accordance with the programs and procedures of Young's Market Company’s training system, so that each individual assigned has both the knowledge and skills to fulfill job responsibilities.
- Providing the leadership, guidance and support needed to attain the commitment and motivation of all assigned personnel to achieve company and supplier objectives.
- Initiating the actions necessary to implement all elements of the Young's Market Company programs and procedures within the assigned supervisory areas.
- Leading formal performance evaluations for assigned Field Managers, District Managers and Sales Representative/Merchandisers as defined within the Young's Market Company performance evaluation system.
- Having extensive knowledge of the brands and knowing in-depth features and benefits of each compared to the competition and conveying that information to their managers and sales merchandising teams.
- Maintaining and developing positive business relationships with suppliers, including providing them with requested business reviews and information.
- Developing monthly programs to attain supplier and corporate goals to include volume, profit, distribution, merchandising and promotional activities.
- Knowing and analyzing supplier brands, the Young's Market Company sales organization, the retail chain trade and their assigned supervisory areas.
- The company's distribution, sales, management, and merchandising capabilities vs. competitive wholesalers.
- Working closely with supplier partners to develop incremental merchandising programs that integrate supplier goals with an achievable action plan for the Field Managers, District Managers, and Sales Representative/Merchandisers to execute.
- Working closely with all supplier partners in managing expectations of planner locations across all chain accounts.
- The sales volume, distribution, display, promotional activity and shelf/cold box conditions for supplier brands vs. competition within the assigned supervisory areas.
- Establishing for assigned personnel specific, measurable and achievable volume, distribution, display, promotion and shelf/cold box sales and merchandising objectives compatible with company and supplier priorities.
- Communicating real time feedback from the field level to our supplier partners on any challenges or successes in execution.
- Managing monthly planners throughout their teams in order to achieve agreed upon supplier execution.
- Establishing and achieving sales objectives on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis for Young's Market Company and its suppliers.
- Overseeing the formulation, in conjunction with our suppliers and management, of all company programs and sales objectives.
- Analyzing, evaluating and communicating chain execution, activities, programs, initiatives and market intelligence.
- Team up with our Head Quarter counterparts to provide real time feedback as well as execution updates internally on current planner and programs.
- Collaborating with other Area Managers across the state to track and recap priority programs internally and externally to our supplier partners.
- Attracting, developing and retaining management and sales merchandising teams.
- Ensuring that the structure of all sales territories provide the account coverage and service frequency levels consistent with actual potential sales volume and reasonable customer requirements.
- Managing assigned personnel and resources to gain optimum utilization of individual capabilities and to best serve retail chain customer needs.
- Developing strategic field execution initiatives in conjunction with the Merchandising Capabilities team in order to best train and check for understanding of essential merchandising standards.
- Measuring through reports, field ride-a-longs, and store audits, the results vs. objectives during implementation of programs to ensure the overall success of the programs.
- Evaluating to determine the cause of sales and merchandising problems identified.
- Developing Field Managers performance deficiencies through specific counseling, training, and/or motivating actions.
- Ensuring that selling expenses are kept at or below projected levels.
- Imparting knowledge of the major responsibilities, accountability, and organization of the sales function to field management and their sales teams.
- Maintaining reliable and up-to-date sales performance and personnel records.
- Formulating recommendations that will strengthen the sales and merchandising results for supplier brands.
- Identifying for senior management those Field Managers, District Managers, and Sales Representative/Merchandisers, whose performance and capabilities indicate either potential for development or for probationary status.
- A Bachelor’s degree in related field from an accredited four-year college or university.
- 7-8 years progressive leadership experience in a sales environment, preferably in the beverage alcohol industry, but other CPG company experience is acceptable
- Knowledge of market strategy and how to call on grocery, drug & mass retail accounts
- Dynamic communicator with the ability to effectively lead second and third level managers.
- Strong analytical skills with Proficiency in Microsoft and Google Systems including but not limited to; Salesforce, Excel, Power Point, Google Sheets, and Google Docs
- Well organized and able to follow up on multiple initiatives at a time
- Able to effectively collaborate with fellow Area Managers in order to deliver or recap information to all merchandising teams
- Ability to plan out future business to help Chain Merchandising deliver company targets
- This position regularly requires long days and weekend
- This position requires working at corporate headquarters daily
- Occasional field travel
Enjoy a career with us!